APRIL 2ND, 2020
“Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” (Hebrews 10:23-25)
Dear Trinity Church Family,
We have now navigated the first few weeks of this interesting season of social distancing, and it looks as if we will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I want to thank all of our church and childcare staff, our leadership, volunteers, and our whole church family for working together to adapt and adjust frequently! I have been so inspired by our congregation’s response of faith, hope, and love in these uncertain times. Every week, I hear new stories of how different church members have been spurred on “toward love and good deeds” and found creative ways to connect and “meet together” to be the church. It is a privilege and a joy to be your pastor and to walk through this moment with you. I believe we will one day look back on this experience and see how God has worked through it to help us “Thrive in Christ” in ways we couldn’t have imagined a few months ago.
In cooperation with our government and denominational leadership, we as a congregation will continue operating remotely through social distancing, as we have been. Through at least the end of April the stay-at-home orders are in place for our entire state. Since we do not know when these limitations will be lifted, we will continue to exercise our alternative means of worship and ministry until further notice. I truly miss each one of you and long for the day we can gather together as one family to worship the Lord and enjoy the Lord’s Supper again! Until then, however, let us embrace the unexpected blessings and creative opportunities of this season: we will continue to discover redemptive possibilities every week as we seek to be the church for one another and for the world.
We have some special plans for Holy Week and new programs coming after Easter, so take time to see the updated schedule for this next season of quarantining. Also, be aware that with the additional stay-at-home orders in place for our entire state, the church office will not be open. Tammy will continue to do whatever she can from home, but the best way to communicate with us at this time will be through email. If you have an urgent office-related need, call the church office to receive further instructions from the voice mail. (Trinity.Secretary@verizon.net) As always, the pastor emergency phone is also available for pastoral emergencies. (570-500-0332)
As we have been saying, please look out for your neighbors and church family who are less connected with technology—help us to spread the word and care for them as best we can in a time of isolation. We need everyone to be the hands and feet of Christ, let’s serve together as we have ability! Additionally, if you have any questions or ideas to share with us, or if there is a way we can help you or someone else, please reach out to us. In all things, let us continue to “hold unswervingly to the hope we profess.” Amen!
- Pastor David
DON’T GO TO CHURCH. BE THE CHURCH.
· SUNDAY HOUSE CHURCH: House Church is continuing! We’ll send out the Message Video & House Church Guide each Friday so you can worship, pray, learn and connect as the church each Sunday. After Easter, we start a new 8-week series on Philippians! We’ll be living out our church vision by immersing ourselves in God’s Word, in God’s Presence, and in God’s people. (See below)
· DAILY TEXT: Each week, we’ll share a guide breaking down Philippians into several verses per day, with questions to reflect and pray through the text. By the end of the 8 weeks, we will read and pray through the entire book together.
· DISCIPLESHIP BANDS: Our goal in the coming months and years is to expand the relational discipleship programs of our church (classes, small groups, etc.) “Discipleship bands” are a transformative, historic way Christians have connected in groups of 3 to 5 for the simple purpose of prayer, encouragement, and accountability. This season of “lockdown” is a great time to experiment with this powerful tool of discipleship! If you are interested in learning more and starting a Band with a few friends (same gender), email Pastor David with the subject “Discipleship Bands” – Dlayser@susumc.org
· WEDNESDAY NIGHT PRAYER VIGILS: We will also continue our weekly Prayer Vigils, Wednesday nights 6:30-7pm. We will email the written prayer guide, share a Facebook Live video, and post the recording afterwards to re-watch later.
· ACTIVATE KIDZ: Every week, Miss Emily and Activate team members will share a video lesson that families can enjoy together with House Church or any time. We’ll also share a midweek “digital chapel.” Search for the ActivateKidz YouTube channel and Facebook group. If you’re not already on their email list, send a message to TrinityCYMin@gmail.com
· TRINITY YOUTH: Emily will continue to host a 3pm Zoom for middle school age and a 4pm Zoom for high school age. Sunday Nights 6-7pm will be “Digital Youth Group” with Facebook & Zoom. Send an email to TrinityCYMin@gmail.com for more info!